Monday, December 5, 2011

The Sounds of Christmas

I heard it yesterday.  A distinct tinkling that I hear at some point during the Christmas season each year.  The sound of a piece of my white nativity clinking against something, usually the floor.  Riley quickly assured me that all was well, "Mama, the wise man fell against the donkey, but both of them are fine!"  Last year, I contemplated purchasing a new nativity set at a Hobby Lobby half price sale.  However, I decided my current one has too many memories, and has been through too much to be replaced.

Almost every piece has come in contact with the super glue at one time or another.  Our angel is resilient in her efforts to proclaim the birth of the Christmas baby.  Her wings have been broken off several times.  Riley once felt that she needed help with her guarding duties and added Spider man and Batman to the rest of the stable crew.  Due to incorrectly applied superglue she looks rather chilly.   Several years ago, I noticed one of the sheep was missing.  I went searching for my lost sheep.  It was found outside.  In the grill.    One wise man lost his head.  It is back on, but just a bit crooked.  The shepherd boy was also decapitated, and has been reattached by the powers of super glue.  Sadly, one wise man was shattered beyond repair.  His space is empty in the packing box.  Poor Mary only has one hand, and a camel has been MIA for many years now. 

One day, when my house is empty and quiet, I am going to make tiny t-shirts for whatever nativity pieces remain.  In all of my spare time, I will embroidery them with the words, "I survived the Presson boys."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following the exciting,exhausting, sometimes messy, but BLESSED lives of the Pressons! We love to read your thoughts, comments, and or questions!